Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm not a nag, I maintain a consistent message.


I realized today how much I sound like a broken record. (And why is it called broken when if it's broken you couldn't play it? It's scratched that makes it skip.) Anyway, parenting in itself can be repetitive when it comes to verbal communication. Get five kids together who seem to have no problem distracting each other, or what I could almost believe to be on purpose, and I for certain can etch a list of daily phrases in stone. Get one child to do something out of sync and any number of them are sure to follow.


I hate repeating myself. It's expected for toddlers. Try it for 3 tweens and see how long patience lasts. Like my daily routines so are my broken record of reminders, corrections and tired incentives. You may call it nagging, by now I've come to think of it more as maintaining a consistent message.

Oh, I know I'm not the only one. I hear of parents complaining of saying the same things over and over. My kids aren't toddlers. So if I am nag I find comfort in knowing I'm not the only  one.

Things I actually say on a daily basis:

"Stop asking me."

"I'm tired of telling you."

"Why haven't you brushed your teeth yet?"

"Who was the last one to use the bathroom?"

"I'm tired of telling?"

"Shut the door when you go to the bathroom!"

"Why aren't those beds made?"

"Didn't I already give you an answer?"

"Put the remote down. It's not a toy."

"Did you flush?"

"Pick your dirty clothes up."

"What happened now."

"I'm tired of telling you!"

"If you ask me one more time the answer's no."

"Answer me."

"Look at me when I'm talking to you."

"You have ten more minutes?" (Wii or computer games)

"Keep your hands to yourself!"

"I'm tired of telling you!"

"Are you the parent?"

"Did I ask you?"

"That's enough!"

"That's nasty."

"Would you like me to find you something to do?"

"Close your mouth when you're eating!"

"I'm waiting."

"When I ask you a question I expect an answer."

"Why are you arguing over a stupid......"

"Gross, you just used the bathroom. You're not gonna wash your hands?"

"Why do I have to tell you the same things every?"

"I love you (too)."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Where my inspiration comes from

A Recycled-Dad with Bipolar & Parkinson's, reflections on fathering and family life and other stuff thrown in there...you'll love my Soap Box Rants

Blog with Integrity

BlogWithIntegrity.com\\ Auhor Lupe Picazo

Why I call myself a Recycled Dad

I call myself a Recycled Dad because of the struggles with remarriage and being a step-parent and weekend dad. This is also about my life living with bipolar and how it affects me personally, my family and my job. It also reflects on the grace God has poured out on me throughout recovery from alcohol and an eating disorder. Recycled Dad is about my reflections on the wisdom God teaches daily on fatherhood and being a better husband in spite of being bipolar.

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome them